TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Looking for advice on suspension refresh
People Seeking Info

Subject Looking for advice on suspension refresh

Posted by megaDan on November 16, 2023 at 9:10 AM
  This message has been viewed 210 times.

Message I'm hoping to solicit feedback from the community, as suspension is not my forte and really the only area of my car that remains untouched after 15 years of ownership. After chewing through my front tires in ~10k miles thanks to extreme inner tire wear, its time to address this.

Current setup: 1990 Twin Turbo with ~175k miles. Original suspension, minus tension rods with ES bushings, subframe bushing collars, and rear HICAS delete.

Current status: No actual issues other than tire wear. The ride is comfortable and does not bounce, but it is less confidence inspiring than I would like...but this is comparing it to my other summer ride: a 2006 JCW all the right suspension upgrades. All 4 corners exhibit no wobble or slop, but there is almost indiscernible movement when load applied to each wheel with the car in the air. I believe the front inner tire wear is a result of negative camber due to springs with 175k miles on them. Currently at -2* on each side.

This is a weekend cruiser only. It won't see track time. Comfort is the priority. I'd love to keep the OEM adjustable suspension, but realize that is likely not an option. Cost is also a factor. I can afford whatever I need to do, but I'm not sure it makes sense to do a full rebuild if a less drastic alternative is acceptable.

I currently see 3 paths:
$: Install front camber shim kit to correct negative camber and tire wear, and continue to put up with functional yet aged suspension. Assuming what little play is present in the existing bushings won't be solved with new rubber.
$$: Install front camber shim kit and replace all rubber bits with Nismo bushings to take what little slop might be present out of the suspension.
$$$: KYB-AGX + appropriate springs, plus all bushings. Will this make a night and day difference?

I'm heavily leaning towards (option $$) making a winter project of replacing all the bushings to see what that does to the ride. I could always do the struts/springs next winter. I haven't seen too much discussion of this being a popular option, but going to aftermarket components doesn't make sense for my use-case. Am I fooling myself in believing my dampers are even 50% functional after 34 years? I appreciate any input, especially those who have been down this road before.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.